Thursday, March 31, 2011

Yoga is my religion.

I don´t think of myself as religious. But I suppose if I had to choose one, I would choose yoga.
Does that count?

A few years ago I was attracted by the asanas, and I thought that was all that yoga was: poses. Now as my whole self is being drawn into yoga I am learning so much more.


This diagram nicely sums up the 8 branches of yoga .
CLICK to make me bigger
(for a further breakdown see: http://www.yoga-insight.com/history/yogas-8-fold-path.aspx)

 I feel as though yoga is often viewed only as a class you can take in a studio to get a workout. While we all love our ado mukas savasanas (down-ward facing dogs), this is actually just one branch of the yoga tree that is properly known as Hatha Yoga. Hatha yoga holds many benefits practiced on it´s own as it promotes flexibility, tones the body, enhances vitality, cultivates balance, and calms the mind. But when practiced in addition to the complete yoga lifestyle, the benefits are limitless...

 Yoga is a belief system; equipped with it´s own unique set of codes, creeds, history, symbols, practices and way of connecting with the Divine. In some translations the sanskrit word is translated as "union of the self with the divine."

When practicing all the branches of yoga and nuturing my own tree of life as a yogi, everthing changes. It transforms my mentality which in turn transforms my reality. Socially, Emotionally, Physically, Spiritually, yoga has the power and ability to affect it all. As I have become more in touch with my practice I can see how I am begining to view the world and myself as an entity in a different kind of light.

To sum it up, I treat myself with more love and respect and I treat all living things with more love and respect. I thought that I was doing this well before, but really during my plethora of free time here I have been able to explore myself on a deeper level which has provided me with the opportunity to dive into yoga all the more.

With this I have seen some things that I choose to turn away from before.
Things like my thoughts about others, even strangers that pass by on the street. I can be so quick to judge sometimes. Things like my diet and listening to my body. What do I need as fuel right now and how much of it? My intentions: are they of truth and created from positive motivation? The way I sit down. Is my spine in happy alignment with the rest of my body? Or am I hunched over and ignoring the building of pressure in my lower back and between my shoulder blades?

My yogic journey is a fresh one and the path is unfolding step by step as all do. I am grateful that is has been and will continue to be a path of incredible knowledge and growth, both for myself and the world. I believe every little thing ripples out and affects much more than is even possible to account for. From a smile shared with a stranger to a word of forgiveness from a loved one. It all matters.


Yoga for all.
I have yet to figure out the grand mystery of life and what it all really means (stay tuned a breakthrough may be coming :) but what I do know is that I am HERE NOW. Not sure for how long, not sure what comes after, not sure exactly why: but for now in this very moment I am given a choice. The same choice I have each day when I rise out of bed and in each moment as I am going through my day. I choose how to lead my life, knowing that my decisions, actions, thoughts and intentions affect much much more than myself.

Enjoy this moment and leave it more positive than when you entered it. Enjoy this life and leave the world more positive than when you entered it. One way I can reach this each and every time is by spreading the love- to all living things, including myself. It feels oh so good to my soul, which is always a good sign to be followed. And one good way I have learned to spread the love is via yoga. The restraints, observances, poses, breathe, withdrawl of the senses, focus, meditation, all leading to a state of oneness.

Day by day.

Namaste.

1 comment:

  1. I just made that as my fb status. it's so true for me. Yoga is amazing these days.

    ReplyDelete