Monday, January 24, 2011

la vida es bella

Wow. Where to begin? Maybe right where I left off...
Our first day was spent re-adjusting to a new continent by exploring a small part of Buenos Aires. Katie and I wandered the streets and soon began to walk like the locals. The cars wait for us, we do not wait for a "walk" sign, you just wander into the street when your ready to cross, similarly no seat belts are worn, and if so it is just for style. Porteños are very stylish.

That night I kid you not, we walked around the corner of our hotel to fall upon (perhaps the only) entirely vegetarian and organic restaurant in BA. Mmmmm.... a HUGE fresh salad with all the colors of the rainbow, wild fruit juice, and vegetable curry. Not your average meal for argentina but just the comfort and soothing flavors we desired. After we did as they do and headed to the heladeria! Our first ice cream in Argentina and those guide books are not kidding- this is the best. Fresh, smooth, creamy, sweet, decadent...



Jan 21
One 20 hour bus ride yesterday and aloha Puerto Madryn! Three words: Flat, Hot, and Animals. We spent three days at a beautiful hostel called La Tosca that felt so much like a family welcoming us into their home.



That day we hit it off and went snorkeling with Sea Lions! There was at least 20 sea lions playing with Katie and I literally swimming along side me and play biting me! A little frightened at first by these creatures just as big as I, but then the look in their eyes as they stared at me was pure joy and curiosity. What an experience.


We closed the night off by going to our first discoteca! The locals usually go out around 3am and stay till about 6am and if it is a really wild night, they are known to go to after parties that could last till 2pm! Since we are new at all this, we went out early and came home by 3pm...I am sure we will improve with time :)

Jan 22
Waking up 3 hours later we went on a tour around the penninsula valdez and saw over 2000 sea lions, loads of penguins, guanacos and more. It was over 100 degrees here and the heat of the sun was like no other, pounding down on us as we searched the large, dry, grasslands for creatures to observe.


Guanacos! La´s Favorite :)
All sea lions behind us!

Armadillo. Who knew they could be so cute?!


My spanish is already improving and I cannot describe the feeling of satisfaction when I am talking to a native in this sweet foreign language and they understand me! It is literally breaking barriers that live between 2 people who use different sounds to communicate verbally. I have also come to notice that one genuine smile can touch the heart of anyone, despite which language they speak.
ps:  While most people know instantly I am a California girl, one person has mistaken for being argentine! Whoo Success!


Jan 23
Waking up at 7am we ventured off to explore the many penguins that take shelter at Punta Tombo. This is breeding season and we saw the home of more than 800,000 waddling black and white suit wearing little men and women. Who knew? They do not just live in the snow... they have prime beachfront property!
That night we hopped on a 16 hour bus to Bariloche and here I am!


Jan 24
Bariloche is BEAUTIFUL! An entirely different landscape (on the east next to the andes mountains, instead of on the west coast like puerto madryn) it is covered with lush flora and fauna, green until the eye can see and neighboring the majestic Nahuel Huapi lake. 
Up until now Katie and I have been going non-stop and playing each day as it arrives. It is summer here and all the argentines are on vacation as well. This has made it a little more challenging with the high demand for hostels and transportation, but all is well. We are enjoying the beauty and delicious treats Bariloche has to offer. I already know I will return here one day. So much to explore it deserves much more of my time and energy.



This is both of our first big trip, out of the country ALL on our own. While that can be intimidating, it is also such an extreme opportunity for growth and for developing trust within ourselves. Being away from loved ones and depending on computers as a sole source of communication is something I am not used to but... it works!
Really it is such a small world. No joke, on my bus from puerto madryn to bariloche yesterday a dear friend from UCSB Laura (my future housemates twin sister) walked passed me on the bus! She is studying abroad in Chile and just decided to travel to the popular beach in puerto madryn for the weekend! Crazy! So crazy.
Then again today walking downtown we ran into a friend Jan that we made back in Puerto Madryn. A kind man who was on our tour to the peninsula and here he is again exploring the chocolate city! Really, we are never alone.

...
I assume you who are reading this knows me and probably knows me well. I have been doing a lot of thinking out here and I am so thankful for YOU! Each new day offers new experiences and lessons to enable us to be the best we can be. I know I am who I am for the better because of you and even just you reading this expresses your love and support for me and I appreciate it. I know being in a different place (physically and mentally) at this time in my life is offering me the opportunity to grow at a rapid rate. I accept it wholeheartedly!

gracias para todo y te amo

3 comments:

  1. Kyria that's so cool!! the penguins, snorkeling with sea lions!! I definitely agree that it's hard to communicate only over computer and that adjusting to life in a foreign place is a challenge, but it sounds like you're already having so many great adventures!! many hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am so glad you are seeing and experiencing all these wonderful wonders of this life:) there are many! i would be sooo scared to swim with sea lions!!!! ur brave lol like when i was a total chicken at knotts scary farm! bahaha i love you too and cant wait to hear more. i lvoe you and miss you!
    Mal
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kyria girl, what a beautiful adventure!!! i was seriously just thinking about you today. i was telling my husband (!) about life on the island and the adorable campers from avalon we had (aka... you!).... i'll totally be following your adventure (and i'll be super jealous the whole time!)

    ReplyDelete