Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Come walk with me and see the world the way I see

Hola.

It has been a good two weeks since my last time at the keyboard, typing away about my adventures here in the south. I have been reminding myself that life is meant to be lived first and written about second (or perhaps writing is somewhere farther along down on the list of "things to do" but regardless... now is the right time.)


I have been walking. A lot. It is the best (and not to mention cheapest and most readily available) method for getting to know the city. Buenos Aires (BsAs) and I have gone through moments of delight, fear, bliss, challenges and peace just as any relationship does. I am growing to appreciate how each calle has something to offer and the not so enjoyable details of my walk (see future note on dog feces and potholes) are now just part of the journey.


Graffiti gently reminding the passerby


Walking has become a form of mediatation for me. Starting in one place with a general goal of where I would like to end up, while remaining open to the ideas the universe has in store for me. One foot in front of the other, watch your step, breathe, and be present. Originally I held tightly onto my map, focusing more energy on street signs than my surroundings. Now I am comfortable and confident enough to get lost, or better yet, to find a different route. I take the opportunity to look at the aged buildings, children playing in the street, detailed door designs, and men standing in the frames of old houses that have recently been transformed into a tower of apartments. I am able to notice the little things. Like the trash thrown on the road as if in opposition to the very government that had brought it there and the woman waiting for the bus who really seems to be waiting for a change of circumstance.

Porteños. Sitting on the dock of the bay.


There are of course "rules of the road" to keep in mind...

1. Unfortunately, many Paseadors de Perros are outnumbered by the K9s at the end of their leash so watch your step and beware of the golden trails too. Enough said.


They appear innocent.



And sometimes they appear abandoned.


2. Stoplights mean nothing and cars always have the right away. Anything big and coming at you with full spead ahead holding a man inside who is waving his fist mightily in the air is always welcome to cross the street before I do.

3. BsAs is not a grid designed town. Roads are curvy, turn into other roads without warning and zig zag their way around the barrios depending on the view they feel like having that day. Even the collectivos resemble this attitude as they switch destinations just as I begin to think I have it all figured out.

A man while crossing the road casually reached into his pocket, where a steady supply of breadcrumbs must live, to toss some treats to his sidewalk friends. They followed him for a short while giving off the impression they had met before.


4. (This was a hard one for me to learn)
There is too much trash to pick up. Coming from a home where trash in the street is rare, I was happy to bend over and pick up an abandoned item and place it in the nearest appropriate location. I even felt it was my duty to do so. Here, trash is just as much a part of the street as the worn down concrete benethe it. And I feel I am meant to leave it that way. Although I will admit at times I still make the lean downwards and sneak a piece of trash to the nearest garbage can.

5. You do not smile at every person that walks by. Another moment of culture shock for me. Not only would my jaw be sore after the hours of roaming around, my constant smile would be viewed as a sign that says "Soy una tourista." I feel more welcomed as a resident of BsAs when I hold my backpack close, keep my steady pace and look others with a gentle smile of the eye when the moment feels right. Not quite as enthusiastic as the non-stop-waving-hand of avalon, but hey, this isn´t avalon.

Interspersed in my time of not thinking at all, thoughts of life, love and the pursuit of happiness trickle into my mind as my body is focused otherwise on the refreshingly monotonous motion of moving my legs in the most natural way possible.

Otherwise stated: I think when I walk.

My inspiration for the day:
A very hard worker and a very good walker.
Mr ant lifting something between 3 and 50 times his own body weight.
(Google is conflicting at times)


.....................................................................



In addition to walking I have spared some time for other methods of exploration.

Lets give the old "picture is worth a thousand words" approach a try and let them tell the story...


Sat Feb 12


The Recoleta "Hippie" Art Fair

Where I became mesmorized with these hand made tye-dyed overalls as well as the woman who made them.
(I am actually wearing them at this very moment : )

Then we made a picnic in the park with the first bottle of wine I have ever bought!
The most delicious 4 dollars...

enjoyed while being spontaneously serenaded by a reggae band.



Un buen día.





Feb 13
Continuing the weekend with the common desire to weave in and out of endless booths filled with nothing you really need and everything you could ever want, Li and I ventured into San Telmo to see the legendary antique fair.

First unneccesary but delightlful purchase of the day:
A crystal ball!
At least the future is no longer a mystery...
and a pretty doll too!
Just kidding. Seriously though, who would buy that???



I did however buy my mate today!!! But... it isn't this one.

I found my dream mate at the very next booth (literally) so I bought that one as well. If I am going to be drinking yerba daily I best be doing it out of a gourd I truly love. Sometimes the best things in life are worth waiting for.

After shopping till I dropped I picked myself up again and had a leisurely four hour walk home.
Here is some of what I saw...



Only upon exiting did I realize I was in unappropriate attire for the church. Whoops.

A cat with the look of death.
Argentine men posing for my picture of the monument.



And a door that tempted me to go inside.

Also...
It is official. I am LIVING here!
Freshly purchased: Yerba Mate, laundry detergent, and body soap.






World Wide Lovers Day


I started the day off by buying a box of chocolates to share with my spanish class. (They taste better when you share :)And after school I enjoyed familiar faces thanks to Señor Skype.
That night only progressed to get better as I went to an INCREDIBLE 2 hour drum performance called "La Bomba de Tiempo."
A must see for anyone within a 5 country radius.



Feb 16th

Today I went on a graffiti tour where we learned the difference between standard graffiti and street art. It was so enjoyable to walk with the intention of appreciating the art-decorated walls of the city. I feel they are passed by all too quickly and often ignored during the rush of city life.

graffiti
Street Art.
Legend has it that during the economic crisis of Argentina in 2001 various artists came together with the common idea of using art as a means to bring joy and life back to the streets of BsAs. It did indeed and still holds the same impact today.

Yoga --- Body Art

Anywhere: Street
With anything: Dress and heels
With anyone: Two wild werewolves


Feb 18th

Some beautiful friends and I  took advantage of the rainy weekend in BsAs and headed 6 hours south for the beach of Mar del Plata!





The horizon never looked so sweet.
It's the little things like this that don't exist in the city.

-via the bus ride south


Welcome Home toes.

How good it felt to dive in the deep blue sea!
Mmm... one month was far too long.

 In addition to hosting my reunion with the ocean, Waikiki beach (yes argentina has a "Waikiki" too) had a surf competition that day as well! ¡Que Suerte!

(Many thanks to the man at the hostle who recommended we take a bus out of town to experience the more local playas!)

Then... on the way back to the hostel we ran into a huge free outdoor concert right on the sand! Whoo!
...........................



Now I have returned back to BsAs and I must admit it was nice to leave the city. By the time sunday came around I was ready to go home, I missed it. Surprised by that feeling, I realized I really do love it here. While I cannot imagine myself ever living in a city like this long-term, I am so blessed to have the opportunity to experience this lifestlye for a limited time.

...


Some "golden rules" I have been reminded of thus far...



Love is everywhere.

 

Sometimes under a hard exterior,
(says the walnut)


and sometimes soft and sweet.
(says the plum)

Know when it's your time to go and
know when it's your time to wait.
Power of Intention:
What you think about, you bring about.
(I knew soy milk existed here!)
Liberty for all.
(Yes. That is indeed a miniature Statue of Liberty located here in BsAs)
Laundry must still be done.
Make Friends.
Be brave and dance!
If you see something you want (even if it is a gorgeous girl who is far to young for you and you are a kind old man pushing 70 years old with dusty tango moves... )
Go For It!
Food is Fuel.
Treat your body right and eat the rainbow.

Everything is hilarious.




And know always,
You are loved.


SONRIE
.

5 comments:

  1. Wow. this is truly beautiful. I can see all your hard work of compiling this and I am so grateful you did! I want MY friends to read YOUR blog! jaja! Thanks for sharing Ky! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't realize how much joy you inspire here.
    Or wait, maybe you do.
    Either way, thank you - your observations are invaluable.
    -dy

    ReplyDelete
  3. As always, lovely Kyria. So glad you are having a ball over there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kyria,
    You are amazing.
    I hope you continue to have life-changing adventures!
    -Chelsea

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ky!! Que bonitaaa - I love your blog post - what a way to sum up your experiences in such a cathartic and poetic way. thanks for cheering me up on my sick days.

    Hope we continue our adventures soooon!
    Mari

    ReplyDelete